8/14/12

How 'Bout Another Go? Part III

And now for the harrowing conclusion of my shamelessly rebooted origin story!

Many, many, many moons ago I was a fresh bear cub, running through Stranglethorn Vale and Tanaris, bashing, swiping, and spreading my rabies far and wide. Leveling my Druid to (at that time) level 70 when I first began playing WoW has been some of my most enjoyable gaming experiences to date.

Though questing is fun, and consuming the story is one of the great pillars of WoW, running instances and raiding is what truly keeps me going. I love the teamwork involved, the learning process for each fight (as well as your character's abilities), and, most important of all, the boss designs and battles!

Wait... there's one more thing I seem to be forgetting. Oh, yes, right, the loot! I loves me that loot!

Me, raiding in WoW, waiting for that sweet, sweet loot to drop


Now, of course, loot has to be earned. And I'll never forget the first time I ran an instance, bear tail wagging the whole way. The instance? Hellfire Ramparts. I was so nervous as we pulled that first pack of three, sweat forming on my brow as I tried to keep threat on each enemy. Of course, I couldn't. Watching as an enemy darted towards one of the Deeps, I panicked, taunting and swiping to keep threat. What a relief to see the enemy turn around, focusing once more on my flurry of teeth and claws.

"But what does this tale of an old BC dungeon have to do with your terrifically entertaining rebooted origin story, Lushious?" you may find yourself asking. Well, my dear long lost lone reader, let me tell you!

Sattler dragged me into my first instance, once dinging 85. We used Dungeon Finder, which I was utterly amazed and horrified by (expect a blog post for this, too!). Almost instantly we were transported to Blackrock Caverns.

How hard could it be? Here I was, a sexy bear that ate raid bosses for breakfast before I took an extended vacation from the game. Heroic Ulduar bosses fell before my might. People cheered me as I walked down the street. Women threw their undergarments at me, upon hearing of my arrival. What was a level 80 dungeon to Lushious the Ursus?!

Apparently it was a lot. I found myself feeling the same way as I did five years ago in Hellfire Ramparts. Much like then, I was coming to grips with my attacks, finding out which ones worked with each situation, and keeping my enemies from bum-rushing the other members of my party.

So much has changed for us bears, in regards to tanking. Where I would've face-rolled mangle, lacerate, and maul until my nose was bloody, I now have to be much more aware than simply what my target is doing. Pulverize should always be up, Mangle every time I am able, Maul is my rage dump, Swipe if I want to gain more aggro, Thrash for more dot damage... Dare I say it? Bear tanking is now even more enjoyable, without its set rotation.

It was all very daunting, being in Stonecore, learning new boss strategies, becoming acquainted with the new bear mechanics, and trying to maintain threat with a whole pack of geared groupmates. But I survived to write about that experience, and many more, right here on this blog, my lone long lost reader. Stay tuned for more of my harrowing adventures, now that the shamelessly rebooted origin story is out of the way.

Until the next 40 yard Faerie Fire pull...

-Lushious

No comments:

 
Love All Animals
World of Warcraft is a copyright of Blizzard Entertainment. All rights are reserved and no willful infringement upon their intellectual property is intended. Any content that serves to undermine this mission goal will be promptly removed, upon the copyright holder's request. All additional content is the intellectual work of the author.